Saturday, August 19, 2017

My Name is War

MY NAME IS WAR

Always wakeful, never sleeping
My dogs slip through the smoke that's reeking
From the havoc I have wrought.
Sergeants to their charges urging
Bravery through hellfire burning.
This mayhem's mine, this holocaust
On which I'll gorge and then make more.
Pleased to meet you,
My name is War.

Although secure you think you slumber
Hear my gunfire's distant rumble.
You'll not be safe past this day's dawn.
Enjoy your times of peace and plenty
I only need one stomach empty.
Another martyr for my cause
Comes knocking at your kitchen door.
At your service,
My name is War

I may be grand, I may be subtle
Ten thousand troops or a snipers rifle.
Perhaps I'll bomb a shopping mall.
I'll take your soldiers and your children
I'll help your women weep for fallen
Sons and daughters in the long roll call.
My herald is a nitrate roar.
The pleasure's mine,
My name is War.

I'll make you rich beyond your dreams
Stretch your markets at the seams
There'll be no need to advertise.
The profits from my global tension
Far exceed your comprehension.
Invest in arms, you'll find it wise.
In strife and conflict rockets soar.
Its my delight,
My name is War.

I'll shift all you can produce
And neutralise the prayers for truce.
I'll blow your prices through the sky.
Then in clandestine dealing moments
We'll sell the same to both opponents
So secretly they won't ask why.
You question what I do it for?
I work for love,
My name is War


Beware lest the fourth reich arise
And terror burn in gentle eyes


© Patrick Ellis

No comments: